ASGE Focus on Fellows
ASGE believes that the endoscopic training and education of fellows in gastroenterology programs is one of its primary missions. ASGE’s Training Committee helps to fulfill this mission by developing a curriculum for endoscopic education, delineating guidelines for credentialing and privileging, and coordinating highly successful First Year Fellows’ Endoscopy Courses.
See below for activities and events especially geared towards Fellows:
To see a sample infographic, click here for ASGE's endoscopic training infographic.
The subspecialty reporting milestones for GI are
available on the ACGME website, link below. The subspecialty reporting
milestones were developed in conjunction with the ACGME/ABIM/AAIM as well as
input from the subspecialties.
GI milestone implementation begins July 2014, with first
reporting window of November - December 2014.
Working Network (OWN) is a multi-society group comprised of educational leaders
in GI and Hepatology. OWN was a steward in the process of subspecialty
milestone development. Further, OWN developed tools to assist training programs
in the transition towards milestone integration, summarized below:
Visit the website for a comprehensive description and tools: http://www.ownyourfellowship.org/
WhitePaper – details the subspecialty development process as well as
user guide for utilizing the EPAs. The white paper will be published in
the four journals of the AASLD, AGA, ANMS, and ASGE in July 2014. The ACG
will post the paper on their website.
EPAToolbox - 13 core tasks, known as “entrustable
professional activities,” or EPAs, that define the work of gastroenterologists
and hepatologists. A toolbox for each task includes, among other things,
specific behavioral objectives related to knowledge, skills and attitudes;
identification of the key reporting milestones needed to achieve mastery; and
suggested assessments to gauge progress.
ASGE’s assessment of competency in endoscopy evaluation tools for colonoscopy and EGD
First Year Fellows
Take advantage of hands on training in our state of the art facility! GI fellows who will begin the first year of their GI fellowship this July, 2015 are eligible to apply to attend our First Year Fellows Endoscopy Course for free by following the steps below:
Beginning April 1st:
1. Log on to www.asge.org and click First Year Fellows Endoscopy course in the course calendar under the education tab. Click Register (you will be prompted to create a username and password). Please note there are 4 course dates available. Choose your course date carefully as there is a 100.00 administrative fee for changes.
2. Apply for trainee membership online. Trainee members pay only $75.00 for 3 years of membership! (you will be prompted to pay dues at time of registration)
3. Please verify that your GI Fellowship program coordinator/director has submitted your trainee endorsement form to our office. Your course date cannot be confirmed without this form.
4. Wait for your confirmation letter to confirm your hotel reservations. Once you have received confirmation that you are enrolled in the course, you may proceed to make your transportation and lodging reservations. Please note….transportation and lodging are the sole responsibility of the attendee.
First Year International Fellows –NEW!
Take advantage of hands on training in our state of the art facility! For the first time, four International GI fellows who will begin the first year of their GI fellowship between July 1, 2014 and July 1, 2015 can become eligible to attend our First Year Fellows Endoscopy Course for free by completing following the steps below:
Deadline to apply: March 31st. Please email your application to Bina at email@example.com.
1. Apply for trainee membership. International Trainee members pay only $25.00 per year for each year of training! (all years of trainee membership must be paid in advance with the application)
2. Attach the following along with your trainee application:
- A letter stating why is attending the course important to you.
- A trainee endorsement form signed by your Program Director and a letter from your Program Director stating what type of training program you are in and how many endoscopic procedures you have completed
- Choose which dates you are available to attend. Please note there is one opening for each course.
- August 7-8
- August 9-10
- August 14-15
- August 16-17
3. Wait for your confirmation letter to confirm your hotel reservations. Once you have received confirmation that you are enrolled in the course, you may proceed to make your transportation and lodging reservations. Please note….transportation and lodging are the sole responsibility of the attendee.
Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship Programs
ASGE will be providing a formal match program in conjunction with participating advanced endoscopy training programs to make the process of application and interviewing fair and efficient for both the programs and fellows.
Application registration for the 2015 ASGE AEF Match opens at 12:00 noon eastern time on Wednesday, October 1.
Important Dates: AEF Match Program for 2016 Positions:
|October 1, 2014:
||Open website for entry of programs
|November 15, 2014:
||Close website for entry of programs
|December 10, 2014:
||Open website for submission of applications
|March 2, 2015:
||Close website for applications
|March 16, 2015:
||First date for programs to offer interviews to applicants
|June 24, 2015:
APPLICANT rank order lists due/End of withdrawal period. Last date for applicant rank order lists to be 8:00pm EST submitted. Last date for applicants to withdraw from the Match
|June 26, 2015:
||PROGRAM rank order lists due/End program withdrawal period. Last date for institution rank order list to be 11:59pm EST submitted. Last date for institutions to withdraw programs.
|July 15, 2015:
Information for Applicants:
1. Online Application Fee (non-refundable). Applicants can choose to apply up to 15 programs at $125.00 or apply to unlimited programs at $225.00. The fee is payable online only via Mastercard or Visa, no checks will be accepted to apply. Applicants are encouraged to apply to programs which he or she is willing to accept. Payment will need to be accepted in order to create your online application packet and rank programs. You will receive an email receipt of payment confirmation.
2. Program Search. AEF program listing contains information submitted by participating institutions regarding individual fellowship programs. Search for AEF programs by state or training type or both. Note: Some AEF programs have included links to their site for additional information regarding their program. For a list of participating programs click here.
3. Required Materials for the Application Packet. Applicants should be prepared to submit the following informational items to complete the online application packet:
- Copy of Medical School transcript and diploma
- Current CV
- USMLE Scores (if applicable)
- Certification of Completion of Residency
- Personal Statement
- Copy of Valid ECFMG (only if you are providing your USMLE scores)
- Photo (this is optional, but encouraged as it will help program directors remember you).
- Reference contact information – you will be required to list up to four (4) references including their email address. Letters of references will be processed electronically. An email will be sent directly to your referee with instructions on how to submit a letter of reference on your behalf with a unique link. Applicants waive the right to view any reference letters.
All uploads must be in Portable Document Format (PDF) and less than 2MB in size.
How To Get Started
Click here to apply to the 2015 AEF Match. “Create an Account” on the left and follow the instructions to set up an applicant account. Rankings do not have to completed when you set up your account or all at one time. You may come back to the website and sign into your account at any time.
Questions? If you have any questions or concerns please direct all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in listing your program as part of the ASGE Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship Match, click here to log in to your account or to set up a new account. The fee to participate is $200 and is payable through the account setup process via Mastercard or Visa.
ASGE Online Learning Center web portal
Clinical Guidelines CME Activities
Endoscopic Learning Library Videos On-Demand
Recorded sessions from past activities
Practice management resources
2012 Video Forum and World Cup of Endoscopy
Go to ASGE Online Learning Center
Endoscopic Learning Library (educational DVDs)
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Self-Assessment Program (GESAP VII )
Clinical and Training Guidelines
Research Grants & Awards
GI related links
ASGE Career Center