The importance of this award ties directly back to our Medtronic Mission statement that was created by our founder Earl Bakken. In part it reads that “To contribute to human welfare by application of biomedical engineering in the research, design, manufacture, and sale of instruments or appliances that alleviate pain, restore health, and extend life. To direct our growth in the areas of biomedical engineering where we display maximum strength and ability.” By following this mission, it has allowed myself and my team to achieve the standards and uphold the value that the ASGE stands for.
During his career, Gio established strong and trustworthy relationship with many Endoscopists throughout the world to exchange ideas for new products and to identify unmet clinical needs. Gio started his career in GI 12 years ago, in 2008, as employee number 2 in Europe for the Barrx RFA device. In 2011, after Covidien acquired Barrx, he was promoted to the Business Director for the GI Business in Europe. In 2013, he led the acquisition and integration of the Given Imaging business within Covidien Europe.
In 2014, Gio moved from Italy to California, where he was assigned to lead the Medtronic GI US Sales Team. In 2017, he was given the responsibility of the global GI and Hepatology business at Medtronic, where he lead directly and cross functionally the following groups: R&D, BD&L, Clinical, Regulatory, Operation, Quality and Marketing and Sales.
Gio has inspired his team with a passion for putting the patient first to introduce new technologies to reach even more patients.
Most notable recent accomplishments include:
- Acquisition of Crospon to launch the Endoflip™ impedance planimetry system
- Leading the R&D project to enter the ESD space with a brand-new portfolio ProdiGI
- Launch of the Bravo™ calibration-free reflux testing system
- Leading the R&D project for the new generation of capsule endoscopy with PillCam Genius
- Entry into strategic partnership agreements:
- Launch GI Genius™, the first artificial intelligence system for colonoscopy
- Commercialize ARCHIMEDES™*, a novel biodegradable biliary and pancreatic stent
- Distribute Eleview®* submucosal injectable composition
While this award has his name on it, it truly was a team effort.