As a recipient of the ASGE Master Endoscopist Award, I am humbled and grateful that my peers and colleagues feel I have reached the stature to receive this great honor. To get the call from President Vargo telling me that I was receiving the 2020 ASGE Master Endoscopist Award was very special. John and I have been friends for 25 years and it was an added bonus to have a close colleague give me the fabulous news.
Dr. Stuart Sherman is Professor of Medicine and Radiology, Director of the Advanced Endoscopy Program, and Clinical Director of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Indiana University School of Medicine. Dr. Sherman was very fortunate to have been mentored by Dr. Glen Lehman as an advanced endoscopy fellow and junior faculty at Indiana University. Dr. Lehman helped Stuart develop his endoscopic skills, taught him how to provide quality care for patients, nurtured his passion for research, and helped him establish relationships with industry partners. Dr. Sherman was able to develop his own research niche and become a recognized leader in the application of ERCP to pancreas and biliary tract diseases. He has published more than 400 articles and book chapters in this area. The Advanced Endoscopy program has flourished during his leadership becoming one of North America's largest volume programs and a destination site for patients with complex pancreatobiliary diseases. His nine Advanced Endoscopy partners are world class endoscopists committed to providing high quality patient care, doing cutting edge research and finding endoscopic solutions for a number of GI luminal and pancreatobiliary diseases.
Dr. Sherman has personally mentored more than 50 GI fellows, advanced endoscopy trainees, research fellows, and junior faculty in research, many whom are now independent investigators. This includes serving as a senior mentor for Dr. Gregory Coté’s NIH R21 and K23 grants, mentoring Dr. Evan Fogel who is currently a PI for NIH funded studies in chronic pancreatitis, and serving as mentors for Drs. Julia LeBlanc and Mohammad Al-Haddad’s ASGE Career Development Awards.
Dr. Sherman's highlights include the following:
- Committee member of 5 ASGE committees, Chair of Post Graduate Education committee,
- Fellow of ASGE
- Editorial Board GI Endoscopy (5/97-5/04)
- Member of the Governing Board (5/05-5/08)
- Editorial Review Board, GI Endoscopy (5/04-5/08)
- Associate Editor GI Endoscopy (7/09-12/14)
- Course Director For the ASGE at the ASGE/ACG Board of Governors Course (1/02)
- Course Co Director—ASGE Post Graduate Course at DDW (5/07)
- Recipient of 2009 ASGE Distinguished Endoscopic Mentoring Award
- Moderated and spoke for ASGE at courses and DDW including 16 ASGE Post Graduate courses
- On 6 Journal Editorial Boards including Gastroenterology
- American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM)—member of GI Board (2/07-6/13)
- Named one of Indianapolis Top Docs for 13 consecutive years (2007-2019)
- Served on important multidisciplinary panels and spoke at an NIH State Of the Science Conference
- Member of National Commission on Digestive Diseases (NCDD) Working Group Bioengineering, Biotechnology, & Imaging (8/06)
- Expert Panel – American College of Surgeons/Commission on Pancreatic Cancer, Quality Measure Development (10/07)
- Speaker at NIH State-of-Science Conference on ERCP for Diagnosis and Therapy (1/02)